Saturday, October 4, 2008

Food Storage for October

Food Storage Month by Month
October

“For years we have been counseled to have on hand a year's supply of food. Yet there are some today who will not start storing until the Church comes out with a detailed monthly home storage program. Now, suppose that never happens. We still cannot say we have not been warned.”-Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.265

Basic Storage:
· Flour and wheat 65 lbs per person
· Oil 4 qts per person
· Salt 3 lbs per person

Expanded Storage:
· Canned soups and soup mixes

Nonperishable item:
· Flashlight and batteries

I will usually look around and tell you where the cheapest places are to buy the items but I have not had time the past few months so hopefully I'll be able to get around to that this month. I will also try and post some recipes soon. Hopefully you were able to stock up on the soups that were on sale last month! Also this is what I like to do and maybe it will work for you too on the basic items I will get them at the cannery if they are available ( looking at this months items, you can't get salt or oil). I like to go to the cannery 3 times a year (Jan, May, and Sept.),rather than go every month. Also just a reminder this is a lot of food to store so if you don't have the money or space to store the food buy what you can. I only have enough room to store a 3 month supply of food for 3. So, I just divide the amounts by 4 to get my 3 month supply. (i.e flour and wheat 16lbs per person, oil 1 qt per person, salt 1 lb per person) Hopefully that made sense.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...